Stinky Outhouses

This blog follows my process as complete my senior research and development class. The focus of my final project is smelly outhouses.

Problem: High traffic public toilets are unpleasant to use when camping.

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to research and develop a solution that improves the experience of using high traffic public toilets.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Survey Results are In + a prototype




I underwent a second survey process to help me narrow my problem even further. After reviewing the results from my first survey, I realized that the smell of toilets is not the only bothersome aspect of using one.

My second survey shows that both smell and hygiene, closely followed by a lack of supplies are the most concerning issues of using a high traffic public toilets. With this new information, I am continuing my focus on an outhouse kit-of sorts.

The first image above shows two spray bottles (for hand sanitizer and air neutralizer) and a play-doh container which could house a toilet paper roll or seat covers. The prototype has a lanyard type strap which allows it to be worn around the neck.

The second and third images are of a similar concept, however the toilet paper/seat covers are housed in the Altoids tin. This also has a neck strap.

I am aiming for something that can be worn for the short duration that the user is in the porta-potty. Another wearable option would be a loop for a carabiner.

No comments:

Post a Comment